With an abundance of diets, diet pills, and miracle shakes on the market it is often tough to decide on the right nutritional plan for you. Here are a few tips to keep you on track:
Find a plan that is going to work for you and your lifestyle.
- Your eating plan shouldn’t feel like a “diet”, rather it should be a lifestyle. Pick options that work well with your schedule and resources.
- While often hard to peel yourself out from under the covers an extra 10 minutes early, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It not only starts your metabolism but it gives you energy to face what lies ahead.
Eat an array of different colored foods.
- This will ensure that you get enough vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Fresh fruits and vegetables are a great way to do this. Eating fresh produce that is in season will naturally produce variety in your diet along with being cheaper than purchasing items out of season.
- Use measuring cups to see how much food you are actually eating. Switching to smaller plates, bowls, and cups will help keep calorie counts low.
Eat smaller more frequent meals
- Relishing in six smaller meals throughout the day is better than eating three big meals as it keeps your blood sugar from spiking and will thus keep your energy level consistent throughout the day
Plan meals in advance
- If you allow yourself to become hungry you will make poor choices. Have healthy snacks and meals planned in advance, especially if you know you’re going to be busy. This will allow for smarter, more nutritious choices.
Drink plenty of water
- Hunger can often be disguised as thirst so make sure you are well hydrated. Drinking water instead of sugary drinks limits calories; if you prefer to have some flavor in your beverage, add a slice of lemon or lime.
- Taking a look at food labels will clue you in on which foods are high in sodium, sugar, or other additives that may wreck havoc on your nutrition plan.
- Remove foods high in sodium from your diet. Limit adding salt when cooking, instead try using fresh herbs and spices
It is important to not allow yourself to feel deprived as this will set you up for failure. If you crave something, let yourself occasionally indulge but do so in smaller portions and less frequently. Maintaining a healthy eating plan will improve your energy and get you back in the game of life!